A Sunday in late Summer can only mean.....Emmys!!

It's that time of year again....when I seem to be on summer sabbatical from the blog, and the fabulous world of fashion inspires me to bust out my creating writing skills. Thank you Emmy awards, for creating one of my most favorite nights of the entire year. I love TV. I love fashion. I really love when the two are merged together for one fabulous event. It brings a similar excitement to Christmas (anticipating what opening each proverbial "present" - aka. limo door - will bring), yet it is also a day similar to Thanksgiving....lounge around and be lazy while watching TV? Yes please. I may or may not have watched E! Entertainment television for 6 hours on Sunday. Don't judge. Without the appropriate studying, I couldn't produce the ramblings below for your reading pleasure :)

Let's start with the bad...

Lauren Graham - why are you wearing a napkin on your dress? It looks like you're ready for a fancy family BBQ, and are highly concerned about dripping anything on your black dress. Her one saving grace? That amazing shoe. Love it. Want it.


Christina Hendricks - this is not the Wild Wild West. No one should have allowed you out of the house in a tight corseted bodice in that random spring lavender, let alone with all those feather accents. We get it, you're curvy. Please don't take the girl-y factor to the max ever again.


Mindy Kaling - where do I begin? Soooooo many things wrong. You are short, and piling your hair high isn't going to change that. You are short, and a tea-length hem is definitely accentuating that. Note to your stylist: generally there should be one, maybe two focal points in an ensemble. I don't know where to look here??? The crazy hair, the heavy lipstick, the dangling earing, the ruffles on top, the width of the skirt, the tuelle on the hemline, the list goes on and on....


Anna Paquin - really? Black draping? Matador-like detailing? Red carpet?? Did no one in your camp make that correlation? Yikes.


Rita Wilson - normally you are so stylish! I can NOT deal! Tom looks dapper, you look like a disaster! Space-age chandelier....

Now to the mediocre...

Tina Fey - you always seem to be just a little bit off. You were almost there this time. I love your hair in that cute little pony, the silhouette of your dress is amazing, but why must we have to read random hieroglyphics??


Heidi Klum - you must not have received the memo that you'd be required to sit down at the Emmys.


Lea Michelle - I really wanted you to hit a home run. I think you are darling, and hello, you're on a show that is on fire! Love the dress, it fits you like a glove, the navy blue is totally on trend, and your jewels are fantastic...but why the sloppy hair?? I would have loved some sculpted 40's retro curls, or even a low chignon with a side-swept bang. Bleh for down and boring.

And we'll finish with the best!!!

Diana Agron - stunning! How did you score Carolina Herrera for your first red carpet?? Pink and black lace is a great combo, and your hair and make-up choices compliment your dress perfectly. Sweet, but not 12-year-old-girl sweet :)


Keri Russell - way to go for sporting a bold color in the sea of black, white and navy. We all know I'm a huge fan of wearing bright colors, so of course you get a "best dressed" vote from me for this one!


January Jones - I love that you are a risk taker! Don't hate me bloggers, but yes, this is in my "favorites" category. I love that she always tries to get as far from the "Mad Men" style as she can when she hits the red carpet. The color is super cool, the hemline is interesting, and her hair style compliments the futuristic look of the dress appropriately. I know most of you are rolling your eyes, as I'm sure I would if someone tried to make me wear this, but this is a perfect example of how fashion really can be a creative display of a work of art!


Jayma Mays - one of the best displays of THE trend of the night, navy blue! This girl has impeccable style, both on and off of "Glee." Hooray for a good tailor, hooray for the non-traditional combo of a navy dress with gold jewelry (vs. silver), and hooray for your stylists on "Glee" - because yours is a wardrobe I covet weekly :)

and the best of the night....

Claire Danes! B-E-A-utiful! Perfect color for your sun-kissed skin, great job not overpowering the dress with jewelry, and I'll say it again ladies, we all need to befriend a tailor as demonstrated here by Claire! Hands down the easy choice for best dressed of the evening - love it!

Whew! Thanks for participating in my mini recap of Sunday's 6 hour telecast. You know that feeling when Christmas day is over and you have to wait another 364 days for the excitement to come back? Yeah - kind of have it now. Golden Globes, you can't get here soon enough! Clearly I love a good red carpet....

1 comments:

laurie coleman photography said...

I always love reading your style critique blog posts and Dustin just doesn't understand why I'm so into reading them ;).