Time for an Update on my Life

Gap logo Pictures, Images and Photos

10 years ago I started a job as a part time sales associate at the Gap.  It was such a big moment for me - as cheesy as that sounds.  I had developed such a love for the brand with the blue box logo, and even remember the first purchase I ever made there (when I was on cheer squad in 11th grade, our entire cheer team bought white socks from the Gap to wear to state competition, lame I know.  Even worse?  That tidbit is taking up space in my brain). An even bigger moment is upon me now, as I sit writing today, no longer as a Gap employee.  I have decided to move on, and see what else is out there....which was such a hard decision.  10 years of my life has been defined by this company.  A few of my favorite memories, funny moments, and things that I'm proud of...

1. I remember the outfit I wore on day 1. Remember that Gap commercial that was a parody of West Side Story?  Bright colored capris with matching jackets? I had the bold white floral pants and the red jacket. When I reported for duty, Mae, my GM at the time, said "I guess you can greet!" That is what people saw at the Layton Hills store when I was the "greeter" on day 1.  Awesome.  Side note - Mae wandered into my Bellevue Square store about 6 weeks ago - small world!  She has since transitioned to Pottery Barn, and was in the area for training.  

2.  My first management role was at Crossroads babyGap in 2002 - the first babyGap store in the whole company.  We were such a little-bitty store!   9 people on staff (including the 4 managers) - and I made fast friends with Sharon, our resident "grandma" in the store.  She took such good care of me - and I miss our quiet little 8-5 shifts helping about 1 customer every 30 minutes...

3.  June of 2003, packed all my stuff in a Uhaul, and headed to Montana with 1 week to find a place to live, not knowing a single soul.  Maureen Lawes took a chance on me, and believed I could be a GM.  I'm sure much of my new staff at the Rimrock Mall thought, "who is this little girl (21 at the time) coming from Utah to manage us?"  It was a great learning experience, and that is where I learned I love managing people.  I still keep in touch with some of my associates from that store - hi Sarah Braaten and Joan!

4.  18 months later, and I was ready for something bigger and better.  Round two of moving without knowing a soul courtesy of the Gap...Seattle here I come.  I remember my first day at Alderwood (also what I wore, cause I'm cool like that).  One of my favorite memories of working at Alderwood was the Store Manager conference we had at Disneyland 4 months after I started.  I loved running around the park (we had about 3 hours of free time) with Colleen, Stacie, and Kelley trying to maximize our time and see as many attractions as we could.  On this trip I got to know my peers sooo much better - and it was the beginning of many friendships that I know will live on for a very long time.

5.  Remodel #1 (oh yeah, there were 2).  What a crazy time - but fun too!  We got a beautiful new store at Alderwood in January of 2009 - and worked so hard putting it all together.  Craziest moment of that remodel?  Night before we opened, around 7pm, and we still didn't have shelves.  Nearly had to drive to all the neighboring stores to pick up their extras so we'd have something to put the merchandise on.  Thankfully we postponed, and opened 2 days later after the shelves arrived. Bummer part was we grand opened on a Monday - and it was snowing - and I was on a plane on the way to Dallas for a store manager meeting.  Have fun guys!

6.  After 3 years at Alderwood I landed at Bellevue Square, where I had the opportunity to run 2 stores for a bit.  We were headed into a remodel, (#2 for me) to combine the 2 locations into one big giagant-o store.  My favorite part of life in Bellevue was the opportunity to continue my love of managing people.  At one point I had 9 managers working for me, which can be crazy, but was such a growing experience.

18 months later, and here I am.  Actually, 10 years later, and here I am.  It is time.  Time for something new, time for a change, and time to be open-minded to what else may be out there.  I will always have a fondness for the Gap, and still feel so loyal to the brand.  I will terribly miss the many many people I have met and worked with over the years.  Hands down, my favorite part about my job was the people..  Many of you have asked where I'm going or what I'm doing - and the simple answer is....I don't know yet.  Probably a bit crazy - but I'm taking a giant leap of faith.  I know God has something great in store for me, and I feel very at peace with my decision.  

I don't currently have a job, but I'm okay with that. Stay tuned...


5 comments:

Debbie said...

Gap was good to you and you were a great asset to them. I am so thankful for the peace that God is giving you and can hardly wait to see where He takes you next.

laurie coleman photography said...

I'm thinking I remember the floral capris and red jacket. Would it happen to be the outfit that was borrowed by Danbury roommates numerous times???

Good luck! You will be awesome at whatever you are led to do! You have always had a gift with working with people and have always been a wonderful friend . . . any company will be truly lucky to have you working for and with them. Keep us updated :)!

Oh, and if you move, try to make it somewhere really cool and tropical because I'm still trying to convince Dustin that Rach and I need a roadtrip to see you wherever you are ;).

Lindsay Marie said...

Laurie - yes, you know the floral capris and red jacket from the Danbury days! No plans on leaving the Seattle area, so you are safe to come visit me here :) Also - tell Dustin we're not "dangerous"

Adrienne said...

OH!!! The floral capris and red jacket! Good memories! And, might I just add, I never borrowed that outfit. Too crazy for me, but it looked awesome on Lindsay (and other roomies)!!! I'm glad that you will still be in Seattle. We've talked about taking a trip to Seattle next summer, so stay tuned. I will be praying for the next step for you! How exciting!!

Unknown said...

Lindsay~you were the best manager I've had hands down in retail world. I know that wherever you end up...they will be lucky to have you. Enjoy your time off!

~Caitlin B.