Love You Grandma Jo...five time over!


i love grandma Pictures, Images and Photos



Today's edition of "5 Things Friday" is a dedication to my Grandma JoElla Pope. She passed away last week, quickly and suddenly, and will be sooooo missed. She lived such a full life - all the way to the end. I don't think it has hit me yet that she's gone, but I know we will meet again. Plus, she's with my Grandpa now, and that is pretty great news. Here are 5 of my favorite things about my Grandma, big and small...

1. She loved her friends. Bunco, weekend breakfast meetings at Denny's, and traveling all over - just a few examples of how she was such a social butterfly. I like to think that my Mom and I picked up this character trait from her, as we both really enjoy being with our friends as well. I was so touched by the number of friends who were at her funeral. Her two besties, Margaret and Gloria, went on a vacation with us a few years ago, and I can honestly say they were so good for my Grandma. She loved them, they loved her, and I love that they treat me like a grandchild of their own. You know you've got good friends when they treat your family like their own family.

2. She ate a slice of bread with everything. Casserole, soup, meatloaf...it didn't matter what was for dinner, there needed to be an accompanying piece of bread. Usually white bread with butter. Who doesn't love a good carb? I love them too Grandma - and will work hard to keep the trend alive:)

3. She had the most positive "can do" outlook on life. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 years ago, and was such an instant fighter. Cancer? Not a chance at slowing my grandma down. I think the initial comment went something like this..."well, I guess we're gonna fight this however we need to." I think more than anything, she was irritated that her scheduled treatment appointments interrupted her daily social outings:)

4. Toothpick maniac! Grandma never met a toothpick she didn't love. From the time I was little, I remember hearing the "tisk tisk" of her using a toothpick after dinner. Silly and small, but something I'll remember forever.

5. She loved Jesus. My Grandma was active in her church, served the Lord, and was committed to Him until the very end of her life. Her church pastor preached the funeral service, and mentioned how a few days before she died he asked, "Are you scared?" She said, "a little bit" because I think she knew what was coming...but she was comforted knowing that she was headed to a better place. Back with Grandpa and meeting Jesus all at the same time? Lucky lady.

Grandma, selfishly I wish you weren't gone yet....I wanted more time to talk to you, hang out with you, and tell you how much I love you. I'm grateful for the years we did have, and the example of what living life to the fullest really means. I love you Grandma, and I'm going to miss you so much.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful tribute. Thanks.

laurie coleman photography said...

Lindsay,

I loved the wonderful words you wrote about your Grandma. I'm sorry to hear of her passing, but I know she lives on and isn't it great to know that even though we miss those who pass on so much, we'll be able to see them again.

We'd all be lucky to live a life worthy of the tribute you've written in honor of your Grandma. She must be a wonderful lady!

Laurie